Sunday, March 1, 2015

Update 3/1/2015

I received copies of my reference book Compassionate Person-Centered Care of the Dying: An Evidence Based Palliative care Guide for Nurses. It provides additional information and insight into the CARES Tool from Springer Publishing. It is an amazing feeling to hold a years worth of work in your hands. I am very proud of the end result and am looking forward to using the book to help educate staff at City of Hope on care of the dying.

I completed my second book that is actually a novel called Resilient Hearts and signed a contract with Tate Publishing. Resilient Hearts follows a fictional Palliative Care team as they work with terminally ill and dying patients and their families. The novel also focuses on how the team members provide self-care through the central character of Michael Lafata, a doctorate prepared palliative care nurse practitioner.  The story line includes a patient who opts for palliative sedation, providing last wishes for a gentleman dying of heart failure, and arranging special closure activities for a five year old and a retired army officer. The story combines multiple actual events and demonstrates the importance of laughter, compassion, empathy, and understanding. The need for music and joy is explored and shared with the reader. (I don't want to give away everything) I am hoping Resilient Hearts will be available before Christmas.

I want to encourage any of my readers to ask questions about my postings or the CARES Tool. I want this blog to provide further understanding of the use of the CARES Tool and to encourage nurse advocacy and promote communication.

Take Care

No comments:

Post a Comment